Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Going palm oil free is not easy!

What is palm oil and why should we avoid it?

Here is an article from the independent
"What, then, is "unsustainable" palm oil? Step one: log a forest and remove the most valuable species for furniture. Step two: chainsaw or burn the remaining wood releasing huge quantities of greenhouse gas. Step three: plant a palm-oil plantation. Step four: make oil from the fruit and kernels. Step five: add it to biscuits, chocolate, margarine, soaps, moisturisers and washing powder. At breakfast, when millions of us are munching toast, we're eating a small slice of the rainforest."

And here is the shocking list of palm oil in the top 100 brands in Britain.

So by buying these products (and many many more) we are supporting the palm oil industry which may exterminate orangutans in 10 years. I have just moved back to Iceland and I went through all toiletries I had in the bathroom. Here is what I am throwing away because it contains palm oil!

It is tricky to find replacements (that work and do not cost an arm) but from now on I will try not buy any products that contain palm oil. But its not that simple because palm oil is not always labelled on the product. Sometimes the label says: "Vegetable oil". This is completely unacceptable! People should have the rights to know what they are buying but unfortunately most people do not care, they just buy things without question. This needs to change.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had these ridiculous comments - can't you delete them or perhaps you want to show that starting a campaign like this brings out the monsters!
    Anyway, thank you for the information. I found you because I have only just heard about the palm oil problem and how it impacts orang-utangs amongst many other creatures. Where have I been ? Just living abroad so I don't hear and see the news in the same way.
    Just finding out about all the things I now will stop eating and using. Goodbye Haagen Daz!
    Take care and good luck with your blog Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kate, I forgot to remove those crazy comments but they are now gone forever :) Lots of crazy people out there... Im glad you are aware of the problem now, I recommend that you send Haagen Daz a letter/e-mail and see if they can give you some answers about palm oil in their products. A lot of companies rely blindly on their suppliers "sustainable" palm oil policy but of course there is almost no palm oil today that is sustainable. Good luck with all :)

    ReplyDelete