Monday, January 17, 2011

Home made food :)


I am now making all food from scratch and it is so much fun :) Yes it does take a bit longer time than putting pre-cooked food in the microwave but its relaxing and I know exactly what I am eating. Its a great feeling! I am planning to make my own tortillas soon since I found out that all tortillas you can buy in Iceland either contain palm oil or "vegetable oil". I just loose my apertite when I read those kinds of labels and am so happy when I find good brands that are honest with their ingredients and have chosen environmentally friendly ingredients (which are not so many Im afraid).

So I have very mixed feelings at the moment. I am sad because of what people are doing to the planet. But I am also happy because I feel like I am making a (small) difference and I am also eating healthier food and feel liberated. I have just sent an introduction on Roots & Shoots in the Student paper of the University of Iceland and hopefully will be able to recruit more people and start it properly. I also have a PhD to think about... eek...

Keep reading the labels and look out for environmentally friendly labels (try to avoid all green-wash though!). Google it if in doubt! In Iceland a trip to Yggdrasill and Fjarðarkaup is a must :)

3 comments:

  1. This is what I had for dinner:

    Spinach pie

    180 g wholegrain flower
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    100 g cold butter
    3/4 cold water

    Mix, spread in tin and bake for 10-15 min at 180°C

    Then mix together
    3 eggs
    2 1/2 dl milk or cream
    fresh dill (or any herb you want)
    300 g spinach (pour hot water on, squeeze water out and then chop)
    1/2 chopped and fried onion
    Season with salt and pepper

    Put mixture on the prebaked pie shell and put cheese on top.

    Bake for approx 30 minutes at 180°C (or at least that works in electrical ovens)

    VOILA :)

    And you can just put anything you want. Ive tried it also with potatoes and leek YUMM YUMM :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Sounds fantastic. Might use Tubney eggs for that.

    ReplyDelete